March 23, 2003

Mix 90: Ably Backed

I don't listen to this mix often, mainly because I made it for my then-girlfriend, shortly before we broke up. The good news is, we reunited six months later and are now married, but this mix, while perfectly OK, reminds me of a lousy period in our relationship.

The cover is an elaborate inside joke. My wife and I often quote our favorite movies, and I often get the quote mostly correct while my wife gets every quote exactly right. This scene from the movie Singles was the first time I ever caught her in a misquote.

  1. Overture/It's A Boy - I included this Who song because it had been in a Claritin commercial recently.
  2. It's Oh So Quiet - Bjork
  3. Too Much Passion - The Smithereens
  4. Waiting for Somebody - Paul Westerberg
  5. Go All The Way - The Raspberries
  6. Oh Sherrie - Steve Perry
  7. Lovely Rita - The Beatles
  8. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey - I found this Kristen Hersh cover of the Beatles song on one of those free CDs they include with your purchase of UNCUT magazine.
  9. Can't Cry Anymore - Sheryl Crow
  10. Take The Money and Run - For some reason, the "whoo hoo" at the opening of this Steve Miller Band song always made my wife laugh.
  11. The World (and all it's problems) - John Wesley Harding
  12. Brown-Eyed Handsome Man - Chuck Berry
  13. Jungle Boogie - Kool & The Gang
  14. Cat Handcuffs - Steve Martin
  15. All-Star - Smash Mouth
  16. Stay Up Late - Talking Heads
  17. Fa Fa - Guster
  18. Where You Get Love - Matthew Sweet
  19. Uptight (Everything's Alright) - This Stevie Wonder classic had been recently featured on Six Feet Under.
  20. Outta Site Outta Mind - A live version of the Wilco song from a "Live At The Hard Rock Cafe" collection.
  21. Swan Swan H - A live and unplugged performance by R.E.M., and possibly the worst mix-ending song ever!