June 19, 2009

They said you was going to put me on the shelf...

Have you ever been totally overexposed to your favorite band, TV show, or movie, that you never want to see them again? I saw the movie Pulp Fiction six times in the theater in 1994 and 1995, and in the 14 years since, I don't think I have seen it once. The same thing has happened to me with classic rock. There was a time about ten years ago when I was tired of classic rock. I had been listening to classic rock as a fan and as a DJ since I was a teenager. Ten years later, I was oversaturated. In 1999, creaky old bands from the 1970s were at the low ebb of coolness. Around that time, I sold a bunch of my CDs at a yard sale. Normally I never get rid of any CDs, but I was at a place in my life where I never thought I would want to listen to these bands again:
  • JOURNEY: Greatest Hits
  • CHICAGO's Greatest Hits
  • The EAGLES Their Greatest Hits 1971-75
  • The EAGLES Greatest Hits, Vol. 2
  • RUSH: Chronicles
Fast-forward to the 21st century. I have spent most of the 2000s NOT listening to classic rock, both on the radio and around the house. I have started to miss these bands. I want to invite "25 or 6 to 4", "Already Gone", and "Limelight" back into my life. Thankfully, I can reclaim these hits collections without giving Don Henley any more of my money. My mother-in-law gave me access to her old records, where I found Chicago's Greatest Hits, Volumes 1 AND 2; I have picked up copies of Journey's Evolution (1979) and Escape (1981); and I found The Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 at a yard sale last weekend. That particular collection has sold 42,000,000 copies worldwide, so I was glad to find a used copy lying around!

I have been reunited with my classic rock roots. Perhaps in a few years I will be ready for Pulp Fiction again too?