October 27, 2011

134 Mayhem

 
  1. "Twenty-Five Miles" Edwin Starr (1969), or, as my wife put it, "that song from Adventures In Babysitting"
  2. "Junk Of The Heart (Happy)" The Kooks
  3. "Cold Comfort Flowers" Fountains of Wayne
  4. "Hammer And A Nail" Indigo Girls
  5. Upon listening to "Careful" by Guster last month, I was immediately reminded of "Hammer and a Nail"
  6. "Mayhem" great muscular arrangement and sassy vocals by Imelda May.
  7. Eurythmics "Would I Lie To You?" This song (from Be Yourself Tonight) has always been one of my favorite rave-up fast driving songs. I found this extended edit on a 12 inch single. As far as I can tell, it's the same mix as the LP, but it doesn't fade out until 25 seconds later.
  8. Pearl Jam "Jeremy" [2009 Remix] Thinking about this song a lot lately as "Pumped Up Kicks" has been all over the airwaves.
  9. Gomez: "How We Operate" I love the loud-and-soft dynamics. Reminds me of Led Zeppelin?
  10. "Lost In My Mind" The Head And The Heart
  11. "Ramble On" Led Zeppelin
  12. "It's Only Natural" Crowded House
  13. "Stripped" A cover of the Depeche Mode song from Duncan Sheik's Eighties Covers LP.
  14. "Outta Mind (Outta Sight)" Wilco
  15. "Candy" from Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers' MOJO LP.
  16. "For You Blue" The Beatles
  17. "She Walks In So Many Ways" As soon as I heard this new Jayhawks song on the radio, I immediately knew (by the two-part harmonies) that it was the Jayhawks, and I knew I wanted to buy it!
  18. "As for Now" Another "thanks to SoundHound" find. This song by newcomer Lindsay Rae Spurlock (the EP is called Heart On) was featured on the Adult Swim show Childrens Hospital. I held my smartphone up to the speaker, triggered SoundHound, and her name popped up!
  19. David Bowie "Modern Love" Nile Rodgers is one of my favorite producers, definitely my favorite producer of the 1980s. Love his drum sound.
  20. The Cadillacs "Speedo" Recently picked up the soundtrack CD for...anyone, anyone? GoodFellas.
  21. "You're The Inspiration" At the Beelzebubs' chapel show at Tufts Homecoming Weekend, the Bubs performance of this Chicago classic (from Chicago 17) was a highlight. Of course, the song is old enough to be the prom theme of the Beelzebubs' parents! Aiee!