January 04, 2012

When I Was Ten: 1982

This playlist represents what I remember about pop music just before I began to pick what I wanted to listen to for myself. Basically this is music I was exposed to by my mother, and by whatever Top 40 radio managed to break through to a boy who didn't listen to the radio yet.
I was ten years old in 1982. The mix for 1983 is much, much different.
  1. "Gloria" Laura Branigan
  2. "Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song" B.J. Thomas
  3. "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" Crystal Gayle
  4. "When I'm Sixty-Four" is the first song I remember singing with my mother. We would go on to harmonize on several other Beatles songs, including "If I Fell"
  5. "Elvira" Oak Ridge Boys
  6. "Rainy Days And Mondays" The Carpenters
  7. "Take Me Home, Country Roads" John Denver
  8. "Danny's Song" Anne Murray
  9. "Leaving On A Jet Plane" Peter, Paul & Mary
  10. "Monday, Monday" The Mamas & The Papas
  11. "Flowers on the Wall" The Statler Brothers
  12. "The Boxer" Simon & Garfunkel
  13. "You Should Hear How She Talks About You" Melissa Manchester
  14. "Back In Baby's Arms" Patsy Cline
  15. "A Boy Named Sue" Johnny Cash
  16. "Theme From Greatest American Hero (Believe It Or Not)" Joey Scarbury
There should probably be some Ricky Nelson and Barbara Mandrell in there too- I distinctly remember their well-coiffed photos on the covers of their Greatest Hits LPs.