August 08, 2006

109: American Talk Show Rest Stop

The Cover: my wife and our friends looked sorta like a rock band in this photo I snapped on the street after our attendance of a "Daily Show" taping (summer 2006.) This visit also informed the title, based on the Phil Ayoub track "American Highway Rest Stop":
  1. A Life Of Illusion - the opening titles song from The Forty-Year-Old Virgin by Joe Walsh;
  2. Just Pretend - The Bens (Folds, Lee, and I can't remember the third?);
  3. Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey Rae;
  4. Right Time,Wrong Place - Bonnie Raitt and BB King;
  5. Hearts For Sale - The Rolling Stones (a song I nearly forgot from Steel Wheels);
  6. The Edge Of Forever - This Dream Academy song is from the soundtrack of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, when Ferris and Sloane say goodbye at the end of the day;
  7. Break (A mashup of The Beastie Boys over Queen's "I Want To Break Free";
  8. Listen (A mashup of "Shake Your Rump", "Root Down", and "Radio Ga Ga";
  9. If You Talk Too Much - People In Planes (I saw this CD advertised in a TV commercial, of all places, and I liked this song. I bought the CD on sale at Target for $4.99);
  10. Closer To You - Liz Phair;
  11. Sunday Morning - Maroon Five;
  12. Day Tripper - The Beatles - with a false start included, and no fadeout;
  13. Always The Last To Know - Del Amitri;
  14. American Highway Rest Stop - My friend Robert is a fan of Phil Ayoub, so he came up to Cambridge from NYC to see Phil at a CD release party, and Robert invited me along.
  15. I Know There's Something Going On (I heard this song on the PA system at a restaurant, and I remembered the song but had no idea who it was. It sounded like Phil Collins on drums, and I was right- it's Frida, one of the ladies from ABBA, and her sole solo single hit);
  16. September - Earth Wind and Fire;
  17. Sexx Laws - Beck;
  18. Rockin' Down The Highway - The Doobie Brothers;
  19. Point of Know Return - Kansas;
  20. Feel Flows - The Beach Boys song from the closing credits of "Almost Famous"